Search

Gilliandr's Blog

Random Historical, Social and Cultural Moments

Category

19C

107 Whitehead Road, Aston

107 Whitehead Road Aston - home of family 1897

I have started a new blog – dedicated specifically to the Paulin(e) family.  This picture is of 107 Whitehead Road in Aston where my family lived in 1896-7.  I have been transcribing a series of letters written by my great-grandfather Ernest Alfred Paulin to his brother Frederick Arthur Pauline, who lived in Victoria.  The letters have been lent to me by the Cormack family, Frederick’s descendants.  What a gift of information.

To follow the Paulin(e) family visit the site here: http://www.paulin.family.blog

Advertisements

Festival of the Caledonian Club, New York, 1861

New York Times, 6 Sep 1861

Festival of the Caledonian Club at Jones’ Wood

Yesterday, the sons – and daughters too for that matter – of Scotland were fairly represented at Jones’ Wood.  The occasion was the fifth annual festival of the Caledonian Club, the proceeds of which is for the benefit of the widows and orphans of the gallant Seventy-Ninth who fell at Bull Run.  A number of the sterner sex were present, who, doubtless in the hurry and excitement of the day, had left home without any trousers.  And the bonnie lasses, were they not there?  Indeed, were they, with the bloom of the hills and the heather on their cheeks; and all in their “bran new goons,” looking as pretty and as charming as any Jessie Browns ever did.

A good old-fashioned Scotch-reel commenced the festivities of the day. Then followed throwing the heavy hammer, pitching the light hammer, tossing the cable, and many other things that are much more delightful to see done than do yourself. But the funniest thing of the day was the sack race, in which all competitors get into sacks, and in which everybody tumbles down, and in endeavoring to get up tumble down again, causing no end of laughter, and more merriment than it would be safe for anybody who has some respect for his veracity to describe.  After the sack race there was leaping, jumping, and the wheelbarrow race, in which all who enter are blindfolded, and go in every direction but the right.

Then the bugle sounded, “Come a’ the gither” and the Caledonian Club, accompanied by the guests, marched to the Third avenue, where the cars were taken.  Arriving at Eighth street, the Club left the cars and marched to the Mercer House, where the prizes were awarded to the successful competitors. During the day, Robertson’s Band was in attendance, as also were the Pipers of the Club.  It is imagined that the festival will realize nearly a thousand dollars.

Family Album of a Centennial Pioneer, 1966

Daily Colonist 31 July 1966

 

Jim Nesbitt Browses through Family Album of a Centennial Pioneer

 

Recently I spent a happy two hours poking through the Gardiner family album in the possession of Mrs. THE Jones, 1044 Pendergast Street, a peppy lady, who is a registered Centennial Pioneer for Canada’s 100th birthday party next year.

Mr. and Mrs. Jones keep in trim by taking walks every afternoon, rain or shine, along the Dallas Road waterfront and through Beacon Hill Park.

“I’ve been going there since was two, and that’s a long time ago,” says Mrs. Jones.  “There’s no more beautiful spot this whole wide, wonderful world.”

That, you see is the loyalty of a native daughter of Victoria.

Mrs. Jones is a granddaughter of Capt. John Allan Gardiner, who came here more than a century ago.  Her father was Charles Frederick Gardiner, and his brother was George, and they married sisters – the daughters of Frederick Pauline, who lived at the turn of the century in the old John Tod House at the Willows, a house still standing, and willed to the Victoria section of the British Columbia Historical Association.  It is now occupied by Mrs. TC Evans.

For many years Charles and George Gardiner and their families lived in homes that backed on each other – George on Pockington Street, facing south, and Charles on Fairfield Road, facing north.  The Charles Gardiner house is gone now, but the George Gardiner house stands yet, now an apartment.

Capt. John Allan Gardiner was a popular seaman in this port, a great spinner of tall tales of salt waters around the pot-bellied stove in McQuade’s ship chandlery shop down on the waterfront, where the sealers and the seamen gathered each day.

When he died here in 1899, the Colonist said of him: “Another familiar face to every old resident of the city will be missed by those who had learned to love its friendly lines, Capt. John Allan Gardiner having passed to the great majority.  The deceased was a native of Newport, Rhode Island, his ancestors having crossed the Atlantic on the Mayflower to Plymouth Rock; he came to Victoria during the gold excitement of the early sixties, and at the time of his death was in his 64th year.

“Capt. Gardiner, who lived on Labouchere Street (Now Fairfield Road) was connected with British Columbia coast navigation here for the past 30 years, during which time he commanded steamers, among them being the California, an American vessel trading between Portland and Sitka, the British steamers Fidelita, Otter and Enterprise, and others.  He was also at one time in the employ of the United States government, engaged in survey work in northern waters, and at different times acted as pilot for British men-of-war going north.  He leaves four sons and three daughters.  His wife died a few years ago.”

“The funeral took place from his Labouchere Street home to the Reformed Episcopal Church, with Rev John Reid officiating, and burial was in Ross Bay Cemetery – very many old friends attending to pay their last tribute of respect to their old companion of early days.  The following gentlemen acted as pallbearers: EA McQuade, Thomas Earle, Charles A Lombard, Edgar Marvin, WT Drake and Henry Waller.”

Mrs. Jones’ parents were married here in September of 1890, as noted in the Colonist: “Still another of Victoria’s fair daughters has bestowed her hand and heart upon the object of her affections, and Mr. Charles Frederick Gardiner, and Miss Amy Pauline, daughter of Mr. Frederick Pauline, were made one before the altar of Christ Church Cathedral.  Rev Mr. Kingham officiating.  “The bride, who was elegantly attired, was attended by Miss Florence Pauline, Miss Abbie Gardiner, Miss Violet Pauline, Miss S Pauline, Miss Nellie Pauline and Miss Polly Pauline, the last two named juveniles deporting themselves in the most staid and dignified manner, appearing to fully appreciate the importance of the life contract at whose assumption they were assisting.

Mr. P Lowe acted as best man, the bride being given away by her father.  After the ceremony the wedding party adjourned to the house of the bride’s father, where a merry concourse sat down to the wedding feast, and shared in the subsequent festivities.

“Later the newly made man-and-wife left by the steamer North Pacific for the Sound and San Francisco. They are attended by the best of wishes of a large circle of friends.”

One of Capt. Gardiner’s daughters was married here in December of 1887: “Wedding bells – Mr. Alfred Nelson Codrington King, cashier at the Moodyville Saw Mill Company, was united in marriage to Miss Clara Amy, eldest daughter of Capt. John Allan Gardiner of this city.

“The ceremony was performed at Capt. Gardiner’s residence, Rev Percival Jenns of St John’s Church officiating.  The bride’s sister, Miss EJ Gardiner, was bridesmaid, and Mr. J Carsman ably supporting the groom.

“Only the immediate friends of the high contracting parties were present.  The happy couple departed later in the steamer Olympia for the Sound.  They will take up their residence at Port Moody.”

(Mrs. Ernest Ware, 310 Linden Avenue, is a daughter of this marriage.  Her mother was born in Valparaiso and came here to live as a child.)

The pictures on this page are from Mrs. Jones’ family album and she has now presented them to the Provincial Archives, so that this bit of the history of Victoria may be preserved for all time.

Men’s Wages, Victoria, 1896

Victoria Daily Colonist, 1 July 1896

daily colonist 1896-7-1 - Colonist sexist ad

A Guarantee

Having added to our staff an A1 Lithographer, we are now in a better position than ever to guarantee work equal to the best known Eastern offices.  Try us……

We employ Men and Pay Men’s wages.

A fair profit is all we ask, and we do nothing but first-class work.  Visiting cards from copper plates or stone.

The Colonist,

Victoria, BC

Sale of Corley Hotel, Swinford, 1892

 

Sligo Champion, 18 June 1892 page 2

The extensive and oldest established business house in the west of Ireland

The premises known as “Corley Hotel,” drapery, general business, bar – with a seven-day license attached -situated on the Square, Main Street, County Mayo, held under lease of 999 years renewable for ever, at the small head rent of £15 yearly; will also be sold, the Good-will, as occupier is retiring from business.  To an enterprising person, with a good business capacity, unusual advantages are offered towards realising a very considerable profit out of the premises.  The business being established over a century and a half, has extensive and attached connections. The business portions have recently been fitted up with all the modern improvements, regardless of expense.  They comprise shop, warehouse and stores, having plate glass windows, and fitted with every appliance for carrying-on first-class drapery and general business, as well as bar and hotel. There is a public pass known as the “arch way” through the property which is an opening into the principal country roads, thus affording a public back entrance to bar and warehouse.  The hotel and private apartments (consisting of 17_ have also been of late put in through repair.  The premises have a frontage on the Main street of about 48 feet, and depth of property built on about 228 feet.  The shop and warehouse, depth about 95 feet; also, upper work room 29 x 13.  Out offices and stores consist of Coach house, stables, hay lofts, and stores, with a frontage of about 96 feet.  Those offices &c are built on road leading to Kilkelly, and adjoining the business premises.  They were built so that if not required for storage they could be converted into tenement houses.  Intending purchasers can inspect the premises. Fixtures, fittings, &c, and immediate possession will be given on completion of conveyance.  Business is going on as usual, and stock will be sold, if required with good will as a going concern.  Sale at one o’clock sharp.  For further particulars apply to

Timothy Corley

Swinford, Co Mayo

Isaac Lenehan

Auctioneer, Ballina

MJ Kelly, Esq Solicitor

Castlebar.

Fashion Gossip, 1878

Newry Reporter, 24 October 1878 page 4

Fashion Gossip

Bridesmaids in France are now replaced by two tiny pages, who are chosen from the prettiest of the boy relatives of the bride or bridegroom, and are dressed in velvet of the bride’s favourite colour. At a recent wedding the tiny court dress worn was of sapphire velvet, with white silk stockings and velvet shoes with diamond buckles. A bouquet composed of a rosebud, an orange blossom, and a branch of myrtle is attached to the left side.  They perform the usual role of bridesmaids, carry the bride’s missal, bouquet, gloves, and in addition, meet her and assist her from the carriage steps.  The fashion of adopting reptiles for the tiny porte bouquet has been succeeded by something prettier and more happily inspired. Ladies are now replacing them by butterflies, bees, and birds with wide spread wings, in diamonds. HRH the Princess of Wales has adopted the dragon fly with its sapphire wings for her cognisance.  The Princess de Sagan, whom she honours with her friendship, takes the white rose of her family traditions and fastens it in her corsage with a ruby swallow.  The Duchess of Teck adopts the bee as the holder of her favourite flower, the daisy, which she wears continually.  And so, during the winter, we shall find les dames du beau monde choosing each respectively her own insect and flower.

Glengarry Ball, Montreal, 1896

Glengarry News, 10 Jan 1896, page 1

 

Montreal

Terpischore may well be proud of the honor paid her, the world over, by all admirers of her art and the tribute tendered to her in Chatham Street Hall on Tuesday night, ascended to the summit of her lofty pedestal and pleased her there.  It was a grand ball given by Messrs A McDonnell and P Kane.  The hall was filled with folks familiar in Glengarry and a crowd of prettier girls is seldom seen.  The gentle presence of Glengarry’s fair ones was a charm and of the men who ministered to their lightsome caprice, we could not nay better than they were gentlemen all.  The dances on the following program were executed in the order stated to suit the entire attendance of country and city people alike, to wit: – 1. Waltz; 2. Cotillion; 3. Polka; 4. Eight-hand Reel; 5. Scotch reel; 6. Waltz lancers; 7. Cotillion; 8 Waltz and Schottleshe; 9. Circassion Circle; 10. Ripple and Jersey; 11. Cottillion; 12. Eight hand reel; 13, Oxford Minuet.  Intermission.  1. Waltz; 2. Scotch Reel; 3. Cotillion; 4. Waltz Lancers; 5. Eight-hand reel; 6. Bon ton; 7. First set quadrille; 8. Cotillion; 9 Scotch Reel; 10. Waltz and Jersey; 11. Cotillion; 12. Polka; 13. Highland Scotische.  When comfortably seated for intermission the party were pressed to rich refreshments and next a splendid exhibition of Highland dancing was given by Messrs. Angus D Gillies, J McKeown and Archd K McDougall, Mr. Gillies danced the Highland fling neat to a fault and light in his motion, his execution of the popular dance was much admired.  Mr. McKeown, a good-looking young man from Ormstown, danced the Sword dance and the Shenan Trews, with a stylish grace that became him well.  Mr. McDougall then danced the Highland fling for the first time in public, but easily showed that he is – like the others – a born dancer.  One song was sung by Mr. Mullins, and in succession the remainder of the programme gone over. And what a change at dawn, the hall deserted, the dancers hurrying home, and all the pleasure past!  However, a happier time could not have been.  Particular praise falls to the lot of the musicians, Messrs. T Hocking, Jas Ashton and AD McDonell, with JA McDonald relieving, the music having been of the highest order.  Mr. Arch H McDougall commanded very good order throughout, and is as popular as an auctioneer.  The duties as floor manager compel him to call one and when another couple is wanted, he calls for a “single man and his wife” or some other funny combination of individuality.  Several of the young men seemed to be “growing a beard,” but they were not so long as to be in the way much while waiting or lighting a cigarette.

Governor General Moving to Montreal, winter 1894

Glengarry News, 2 November 1894, page 4

1861-1868_monck_ncc_photo
http://www.gg.ca – Viscount Monck

Going to Montreal

It is now definitely decided that His Excellency the Governor General and family will take up quarters in Montreal for the winter.  The residence of the late Premier Abbott on Sherbrooke St, is being fitted up and the distinguished party will likely move in on the 20th inst.

Press as a Crime Detective – Montreal, 1877

Daily Witness, 25 Aug 1877

The Press as a Crime Detective

A great wall has gone forth from the police authorities over the fact that the evening papers, through publishing the robbery of Messrs. Claxton & Co’s warehouse prematurely, had given warning to the ringleader of the thieves, and thus assisted in his escape.  This sounds all very well, but a few incidents will be sufficient to show that the press has very often much more to do in the unearthing of crime and fraud than the police, notwithstanding their great usefulness; and it thus becomes a question of considerable importance whether such publication is not in general the safest course, and more in the interests of the public.  Leaving home, we shall first give an interesting case where the atrocious and mysterious murder of a beautiful young girl on Staten Island was relegated, like so many others, to oblivion by the sapient gentry of Mulberry Street.  The NY World, which from the first had taken a deep interest in the matter, but its reporters to work, and in less than a week the murderer was in custody. It is unnecessary to say that daily reports of progress were published. Coming home for further proof, we would respectfully refer the compiler of the report which appeared in the Herald, and reproduced by us, and the police authorities as well, to Mr. JP Cuddy, dry goods merchant, in this city, for his experience. He and some of his neighbours had been repeatedly robbed, and, as usual in such cases, immediately notified the police authorities of the fact, but all to no purpose, until Mr. Cuddy became impatient, and notwithstanding that he was requested by the detectives to keep the matter quiet, he had the last robbery of his shop published in the “evening papers”, and two days barely elapsed before he was in possession of a large portion of the stolen property, consisting chiefly of cloth.  It had been conveyed to Sicher’s Auction rooms, the day after the robbery, where it was being cut up into pieces and sold at less than half its original cost, when a person who had read in the Witness an account of the robbery went to Mr. Cuddy and informed him of the sacrifice that was being made by the auction of broadcloths. Mr. Cuddy through this information discovered a portion of the stolen goods, the largest part having already been disposed of at prices that should have aroused the suspicions of even an ordinary policeman.  Mr. P Wright, another dry goods merchant, says he was robbed on two occasions and kept the matter, according to the detective’s imperative orders and unfortunately for himself, too quiet, as he now believes if he had given the matter publicity, he would have recovered the stolen property, as he found out some months later that some cloth of his stolen had been sold in the city for fifty to seventy-five cents per yard, although its market value was five dollars.  He thinks his loss, like Mr. Claxton’s, would have been but small, the latter having recovered all but $400 worth of his stolen property by the “premature” publication.  As an instance of Mr. Wright’s experience, he says he went so far as to bring the detectives to his store and showed them a gold breast-pin, with a masonic emblem on it, which had been dropped by one of the thieves.  One of the detectives said, “Give that to me.  I know the owner of it, and will have him arrested before long and your goods discovered and restored to you.”  However, neither goods nor breast-pin have ever been heard of since, notwithstanding repeated enquiries, and Mr. Wright, with several other merchants, show their confidence in our police protection by having, along with Mr. Cuddy, employed a private watchman to look after their premises at night, the result being that they have not since suffered from the depredations of thieves.

It is very strange that the police authorities should have known apparently much less about Vosbourgh’s illegal and shameful manner of earning a living than a large number of citizens and members of the press?  Why did they not break up his infamous den in St Lawrence Main Street which he had the impudence to locate in the midst of some of our most respectable citizens? While in St Catherine Street, at a convenient distance, a gambling hell of his, it is said, was in full blast. What stronger reason had they for keeping these things silent than exposing them?

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: