Gilliandr's Blog

Random Historical, Social and Cultural Moments

Methodist Women Seeking Voice in Church Affairs, 1914

Montreal Daily Star, 23 September 1914, page 17


Ottawa, September 25 – Whether women shall be given equal suffrage in the affairs of the Methodist Church is to be definitely settled at the General Conference now in session here. At present they have no voice in the administrative affairs of the church, though many of the ministers and laymen think they should have equal rights with the men. On the other hand, there are many who hold the opposite view.

All the annual conferences have gone on record as being in favour of granting the franchise to women in the church.  Memorials have been passed approving of women having a place on the quarterly boards, management boards and such like.

No other church in Canada gives equal rights to women.

Committees are now preparing resolutions and memorials to submit to the Conference on the question and several prominent women are lobbying to get the measure through.

There is also a strong feeling in some quarters that women should be allowed into the ministry, and in others there is just as strong a feeling against it.

St George’s Day, Montreal, 1877

Montreal Gazette, 24 April 1877, page 3


The annual sermon, commemorative of St George’s Day, preached by the Rev BW Norman, one of the chaplains of the St George’s Society, on Sunday afternoon, at St George’s Church, was taken from Psalm 137, verses 4, 5 and 6. As Mr Norman’s discourse is to be published in pamphlet form, it will suffice to merely refer to the principal points touched upon. It was thoroughly English in its character; broad, free, liberal and patriotic in its sentiment.  The love for the Mother Land was not absorbed to the exclusion of affection for Canada and her institutions, inherited through the liberty handed down by our Anglo-Saxon forefathers. The duty of the Englishmen in his adopted country; the prominent part taken by the church of England in shaping and moulding national progress were also referred to, the preacher not forgetting to acknowledge the right of liberty or conscious in the free choice of religious belief. An interesting part of the sermon, and so far as this province is concerned, a novel application of a theory which is gaining ground in some parts of England, was the reference to the suppositious connection between the Anglo-Saxon race and the lost tribes of the Isrealitish nation.  Mr Norman, without committing himself to an opinion on the matter, admitted there was much to favour such a theory, which, if established as correct, would be a powerful aid in the conversion of the Jews proper and in uniting the fragments of that mysterious people. In conclusion, he advocated the benevolent claims of the society and the good it had accomplished, and commended it warmly to the liberal consideration of his hearers. A collection was taken up in aid of the Society, after which, “God Save the Queen” was sung, in which everybody joined most heartily in the common prayer for our beloved Sovereign.


A Joyous Meeting – Victoria, 1888

R_P_Rithet_(sternwheeler)_at_Yale_on_Fraser_River_1882_c_03819 (1)
By Richard Maynard (1832-1907) – British Columbia Archives digital collections, image C-03819, Public Domain,

Victoria Colonist, 11 September 1888, page 3

A Joyous Meeting

At the landing of the steamer Rithet last night the Messrs F and EA Pauline were on the dock to welcome the arrival of their father and mother, brother

Paulin family in Birmingham, c 1890s – collection of K Paulin

and six sisters from Manchester, England. [Actually – Birmingham] The Messrs Pauline have been in Victoria for several years, and occupy honourable positions in a couple of mercantile houses.  Having made a home for themselves, they sent for and are now joined by the remainder of their family, and last night a joyous meeting took place on board the Rithet.

Collection of Paintings – Victoria, 1901

Daily Colonist, 26 Sep 1901, page 3


Collection of paintings – A number of landscapes by F Pauline, artist, are on exhibition in the office window of the Great Northern Railway. There are a dozen pictures including several English scenes.  Ann Hathaway’s house, Rocks and Sands on the Cornish Coast, Spring Morning Near Bristol, On Bisley Common and Autumn evening, Surrey.  There is a very good scene on the West Coast by evening and several others are equally well done.Paulin1 (1)

Chinese Wedding Bells, Montreal, 1919

Montreal Daily Star, 25 July 1919, page 2

Chinese wedding bells

A ceremony rarely seen in Montreal was enacted yesterday when Miss Gracie Man Kee, of Quebec was married to Harry Lee, one of the foremost members of the Chinese colony in Montreal.  The little bridesmaid was Miss Margaret Lee. Chinese hymns were sung at the wedding service in the Chinese Mission and quaint customs observed after the marriage.


Sailing of Lady Franklin’s Expedition, 1857

Montreal Gazette, 3 August 1857, page 2

Sailing of Lady Franklin’s Expedition

(From the Glasgow Telegraph, July 31)

Last Wednesday at a very early hour the city of Aberdeen was the scene of bustle and excitement. The inhabitants were hurrying hither and thither, their countenances bearing the impress of a mixture of anxiety and hope.  A great event was at hand – not the arrival of royalty in search of Highland seclusion- not the visit of a French prince on a scientific exploration – not the return of the brave Highlanders from a Russian campaign; butt an event of far greater significance, and of transcendent importance to the cause of humanity – Lady Franklin’s screw streamer the Fox was appointed that morning to sail for the Arctic seas, in search of the remains of the long lost navigator and his intrepid band.  The spectators crowded the docs to catch a glimpse of that gallant captain and daring crew who had undertaken the perilous voyage.  Lady Franklin and her neice were there blessing the expedition; and as the brave ship weighed anchor and stood out to sea, the lust cheers of the assembled thousands unmistakably testified that the noble efforts that lady had made – though timidly deserted by a government in whose service her husband and his followers had embarked – to investigate and clear up the haze still hanging around the fate of the Arctic expedition, were fully appreciated.

Yes; Lady Franklin’s expedition has sailed; in a few days hence it will reach the ice, where the hardships of an Arctic voyage commence.  To Captain McClintock and his gallant crew we sincerely wish God Speed!  There must be relics in existence which will afford a satisfactory clue to the fate of the lost Sir John Franklin and his companions; the remains of such an expedition as that which he commanded cannot be utterly obliterated.  Besides, the Fox sails under specially favourable auspices.  Captain McClintock will doubtlessly be enabled to profit by the experience of all the previous searching expeditions they have extended over a wide expanse of ground; he has now but a comparatively small space to explore, that done, the work will be thoroughly accomplished, every mile of those ice-bound region will have been minutely examined.

Women take place in political field – Montreal, 1919

Montreal Gazette, 9 August 1919, page 3

Women take place in political field

Impressions of Montrealer who attended Liberal convention at Ottawa

Although Montreal had no official women delegated at the recent Liberal convention at Ottawa, several Montreal women attended the session of the convention as interested friends of the Liberal party among them being Mrs AR McMaster, president of the Women’s Liberal Association of Montreal; Dr Grace Ritchie England, Mrs Rose Henderson, and Mrs J Archambault.

Dr England’s impression received at the convention was that although on this occasion, the first official appearance of women at a political conference in Canada there was a feeling that something unusual way occurring, that very soon in the political life of the country the men and women would work side by side as exactly similar units of the political body to which they belonged.

There were about a hundred official women delegates present, all from the western provinces and Ontario.  On their entrance at the opening session they are cheered, the tribute given to well known figures of outstanding favorites among the men, and throughout their speeches resolutions and general contributions to the business of the hour were well received.

At the close of the final session it was proposed that a vote of thanks be tendered the ladies, but the Hon Chas Murphy disapproved of the proposal on the grounds that as the women were there as official representatives of Liberal organisations they would appreciate their standing as such being respected by no demonstration being accorded to them on account of sex.

Only 23 little disturbances now – Montreal, 1919

Montreal Daily Star, 18 July 1919, page 4


“Peace – well, the lid is on the main crater tight enough to celebrate”4ds18july1919

CFP: Sydney Newman – Producing Television and Film across borders, 2017

Call for Proposals

Sydney Newman – Producing Television and Film Across Borders

Sydney Newman - Image from
Sydney Newman – Image from

Probably best known as the creator of the long-running science fiction television series Doctor Who, Sydney Newman played a significant role in the production of television and film both in his native Canada and in the United Kingdom.  The Museum of Broadcast Communications describes Newman as “the most significant agent in the development of British television drama.”[1]  But this is only one aspect of Sydney Newman’s (1917-1997) professional experience.  Newman enjoyed a long and interesting career in broadcasting and films.  While his ‘claim to fame’ might very well be as creator of Doctor Who and Avengers, he also worked at the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation as Supervising director of features, documentaries and outside broadcasts (1952-1958), the Associated British Corporation as head of Drama (1958-1962), the British Broadcasting Corporation as head of Drama (1962-1967), and the National Film Board of Canada as a film editor (1941-1949) and as Commissioner (1970-1975).  He then became a special advisor on film to the Canadian Secretary of State, and was Chief Creative Consultant for the Canadian Film Development Corporation (1978-1984).


His work at these institutions was critical in the development of Canadian and British broadcasting, and popular culture.  His influence was far-reaching.  But thus far, while there have been some studies which have taken into account the particular roles which he has played during his career, no study has taken his roles together, to provide a more complete picture.


This peer-reviewed collection seeks to understand Sydney Newman’s career in both Canada and in Britain by curating a number of studies on his various professional roles and works. This includes providing an understanding of the world of broadcast television and film, in both countries during the 50s-70s, and the visions of culture he articulated in his work.   Articles can deal with specific aspects of his career, specific institutions, specific programs he developed, his influence as a producer/filmmaker, or administrator.  Biographical articles are also welcome.  The aim is that the collection taken as a whole will provide a balanced look at his varied career in two countries during periods of significant development and change in the entertainment industry of both.


[Please note that Sydney Newman’s Memoirs Head of Drama: The Memoir of Sydney Newman will be released by ECW Press on 5th September 2017.]


Proposals should be approximately two hundred words, and sent to by the 30th of September 2017.  A decision will be communicated by the 30th of November, and final articles should be submitted by the 15 July 2018.


Gillian I Leitch, PhD

Independent Scholar

Co-Chair, Science Fiction Fantasy Area, PCA/ACA





Key Words: Canada, United Kingdom, National Film Board of Canada, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, British Broadcasting Corporation, Associated British Corporation, television, film, policy, public broadcasting

Create a free website or blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: